- A loft bed is an amazing alternative for smaller apartments or simply for the ones who want their room to look modern and stylish.
- A loft bed is elevated from the floor and stands on the 4 poles – it is usually manufactured using high-quality and sturdy materials to ensure the sturdiness.
- However, sometimes over the years or due to intensive usage, loft beds start to wobble. No worries! We’ll explain to you a simple and easy way how to secure a loft bed to the wall.
Loft bed just as a bunk bed is a great bed type both for the children and the adults. It is a perfect space-saving alternative for smaller apartments, and also it makes an overall room interior look modern and stylish. Not to mention the fact that kids simply love them!
Most of the loft beds are built safely and sturdy because they are meant to hold a significant amount of weight and not to get wobbly. However, there are exceptions and sometimes loft beds do not feel as sturdy and stable as we expect. Also, they can simply get wobbly over the years due to usage (especially if you have an active kid who sometimes likes to have fun by jumping on the bed).
If you have faced such a problem and you are looking for a simple and easy way to secure a loft bed – we have even a few options for you to recommend. Keep reading!
Now, of course, the most effective and the most guaranteed way to make your loft bed more stable is to secure it to the wall. However, if you are looking for a simpler alternative and your situation is not that bad – there are other faster and simpler ways to make your loft bed or bunk bed sturdier:
1) Place your loft bed in the room corner. If currently, your loft bed (or bunk bed) s standing in the middle of the room or against one wall – try to place it in the corner of the room. This way your bed will be supported not only by one wall but by two. It will definitely minimize the feeling of wobbling and will increase the feeling of stability.
2) Bed rails. That should be built-in by default – even if the loft bed does not yet wobble. Not only guard rails above the top of the loft bed provides the stability, but it also prevents you or your kid from falling out of the bed (we all get nightmares sometimes). Therefore, consider installing rail around the top part of the bed (wooden or metal – it’s your choice).
3) Installing feet on the bottom of your loft bed poles. The principle is simple – if you increase the surface area between the floors and the bed poles – the weight of the bed will distribute and that will make your loft bed standing on the floor much more stable.
Okay, if any of the solutions were effective in your case – lucky you! However, if you still worry about the safety of your children or yourself, get it done once and for all – secure your loft bed to the wall studs.
Securing Loft Bed to the Wall Studs
Now before we get into the whole process, make sure you have everything in place that will be used:
You Will Need:
- Drill/Power drill
- Stud finder
- Lag screws in 3 1/4-inch
- 1/4-inch spade drill bit
- Washers for the lag screws
- Ratchet set with hex head sockets
Process of Securing Loft Bed to the Wall Studs
- Find the wall stud. Now in this step, you’ll need a stud finder. Simply gently slide the stud finder across the wall to which the loft bed will be secured. When you hear the signal – the stud is located. Don’t forget to mark each stud on the wall using a pencil.
- Drill the holes. Now take a power drill and drill 3 holes on the long part of the loft bed, and 2 holes on the short one. Start drilling from the underside of the bed frame and go straight through the wall into the wall where the stud has been located.
- Insert screws into the wall stud. Take a lag screw and put a washer on it. After that, insert that screw into one of the holes. Take a hex head socket that is 1/2 inch and connect it with the ratchet.
- Tighten the screws. Take a socket and put it on the screw’s head. Then, by using a ratchet attach each of the screws into the wall stud. Pump the ratchet patiently to make sure that the screws are tight.
Securing Loft Bed to the Wall using Brackets
Now here is one more way to secure a loft bed into the wall without using all of the equipment needed into the previous method.
There are these special brackets you could find in a specialized store. And simple as it may sound, such brackets are screwed into the bed frame and then secured to the wall (believe me, the instructions will be included in any type of brackets you’ll get).
So, if you’d rather spend a little more money than look for all of the needed things like in the previous method – you should definitely consider this way of securing your loft bed to the wall!
Valuable Tips to Keep your Loft Bed sturdy Over the Years
Now that you have found a way to secure your loft bed – either to the wall stud or with special brackets – you might want to take a look at some other valuable tips to keep it sturdy over the years.
Pay Attention to the Humidity of your Room
How is it related, you ask? Well, actually very much related! Especially if your loft bed is made of wood.
If the weather is too humid, the wood might start to expand. Otherwise, if the weather is too dry – the wood might start to shrink. Such processes might have a significant impact on the stability of your loft bed as the bolts might get untightened.
To avoid that – use an air humidifier if the weather is too dry, and a dehumidifier – if the air is too humid.
Wanna Move Your Loft Bed? Disassemble it first
Now it’s logical – if you start moving your whole assembled loft bed around the room – the bolts in some parts might loosen up. That’s exactly what later causes wobbling and can even crack the wood.
So, before relocating your loft bed to a different place – disassemble it completely! Not only you’ll be sure that it won’t crack, but you’ll also re-tighten the bolts securely by ensuring the sturdiness.
Regular Checkup of Your Loft Bed
Now if you do not want to move your loft bed anywhere and you do not plan to disassemble and re-assemble it again – you still need to do at least a monthly checkups in order to make sure that all of the screws and bolts are tightened securely and the wooden or metal parts of your loft bed are in place.
Teach Your Children Safety Instructions
Yes, that’s a simple but very important thing you should do before even letting your children use the loft bed. In the safety instructions, the most important rules are:
- A loft bed is only used for sleeping in it, not jumping on it;
- One bed is for one kid, not for a friends sleepover (most of the time), therefore make sure the weight of the people sleeping in the loft bed does not exceed the maximum weight capacity of the loft bed;
- No climbing up to the loft bed by bed frame – use the special ladder;
- No sitting on the bed frames (guard rails);
- Noticed some wobbling? Tell your parents without waiting;
Here you go, now you know all the most popular ways of securing your loft bed to the wall. Loft beds can be a great type of beds and they are totally safe if secured properly.