- The bedding set is practically the most visible and most important accent of your bedroom;
- If you prefer using the duvet instead of a comforter, you should know how to choose the best duvet cover;
- Duvet covers come in a big variety of materials, colors, and styles. To help you not to get lost in that ocean of options, below we will explain to you what is a purpose of the duvet cover, what are the best and most popular materials duvet covers are made of, and what are the most important things you should consider in order to get the best duvet cover.
Have you ever caught yourself skimming through the journals, looking to the perfectly-designed bedrooms and thinking – I wish I had something like that in my home? Truly, there is no magic in having a super stylish bedroom. Most of the time, to bring your bedroom to a new level you don’t need to reconstruct it in general – you simply need to find a new bedding set!
One of the main parts of the bedding set that tops up an overall design of your bed is a duvet cover. Since they cover your whole bed and is probably the largest piece of fabric that catches the eye – you gotta be very thorough when choosing it.
Before you go shopping for a new duvet cover, take a look at some important details regarding duvet covers in general – what it is, what are available sizes and materials, and what you should keep in mind to find the best duvet cover for your bedroom.
What is a Duvet Cover
You might think – oh, who doesn’t know what is duvet cover??? Well, there actually are some misconceptions about this term. For example, some people still mix the duvet with the comforter. So, let’s make it clear first!
Duvet VS Comforter
- Duvet has a cover, just like a pillow has a pillowcase. On the contrary, the comforter is usually used without any cover.
- The duvet is not as fluffy and thick as the comforter because the latter is usually filled with feathers or synthetic fibers (that’s why they are a very good choice for the cold winter)
- The comforter itself comes in different designs and colors.
- Meanwhile, the duvet has to be protected, so you have to insert it into a duvet cover that comes in the wide options of materials, colors, and styles.
- Comforters can be washed in the washing machine, while the duvets require dry cleaning which is expensive. That’s exactly why people use the cover for a duvet that is perfect for machine wash.
Purpose of the Duvet Cover
- Protective. First and foremost, duvet covers cover duvets, meaning that they also protect them from dirt, body sweat, pet hair, stains, and things like that.
- Decorative. The duvet cover is a very top layer of your bed, like the cherry on top as it finishes up the whole bedding set. That’s exactly why people pay that much attention to the appearance of it – material, color, style, etc.
- Comfort. Duvet covers have direct contact with your skin, therefore it is very important to find the most pleasant material that would be super soft and comfy to maximize the experience of your sleep.
Duvet covers are also very popular among users because it is a much more affordable option rather than changing the duvet time after time. Unlike duvets itself, covers are considerably less expensive to wash and maintain, also they come in a variety of styles, therefore you can change it frequently according to the season, or your mood! Simply put – changing the duvet cover is the cheapest and easiest way to renew an overall interior of your bedroom.
Size of the Duvet Cover
There is not much math in deciding what size your duvet cover should be:
- Duvet cover has to be not too small, and not too large – it has to fit your duvet just right! Make sure there is not too much space left inside the cover, and on the contrary – not too little (if you need to fold the edges of your duvet to insert it into the cover completely – something is not right here, mate).
- The size of your bedding set and linens can help you to find out what size duvet cover you need (for example, if your bed sheets or duvet is King-size – look for King-size duvet cover, if Queen-size – Queen size duvet cover, and so on)
- If you are not sure what size is your bed or bedding set – simply measure your duvet, go to the local store and ask a shop assistant to help you find it.
TIP: Duvet covers are usually a little bit larger than duvets, therefore keep in mind that the duvet cover measurements don’t have to be exactly the same as your duvet measurements.
The Material of the Duvet Cover
It’s time to decide what material duvet cover you would like the most!
Some people value comfort and give preferences to natural materials, such as cotton, linen, silk because they are considered more durable and higher quality than synthetic ones.
Other people value decorative purposes and give the priority to the appearance and style of the duvet cover, therefore colorful and patterned synthetic fabrics, such as polyester are their go-to options.
Finally, there are people who look for both comfortable and nice-looking alternatives, therefore they choose to invest more money just to be sure that the duvet cover is high-quality and fancy looking.
Now, you might be one of those people or have completely different preferences. No matter what, take a look at the materials of cover for duvet below and choose your own!
Silk Duvet Cover
- Luxury. Silk material is one of the fanciest fabrics you can find. If you look for the luxurious appearance duvet cover – silk is the best choice!
- High-quality. There is a reason why silk fabric has its price. Not only the look of it but also the quality is just perfect. Silk is a naturally breathable material, therefore it is a smart choice for the humid atmosphere. Also, this fabric is completely safe for people with allergies as it has dust-repellent properties.
- Temperature control. Natural silk is also perfect for your skin – it will keep you cool during the hottest summer nights, and will isolate the warmth when it’s cold outside.
Do I need to mention the amazing feeling when you wrap yourself into the silky material…?
Flannel Duvet Cover
- Provides warmth. Flannel is the fabric that is the best for the colder season. It keeps you warm and cozy. Flannel actually would warm you up faster than cotton, although both of the fabrics are really popular choices.
- Pleasant to skin. Flannel is very soft and nice to the skin, therefore it is super nice to sleep under the duvet cover made of it.
- Easy to maintain. Unlike silk or sateen materials that require professional cleaning assistance, flannel is super easy to wash – either hand-wash it or machine-wash it.
Linen Duvet Cover
- Organic. No need to say that linen is one of the most natural and eco-friendly materials used in the textile industry. By choosing linen duvet cover you will also contribute to the greener environment.
- Health-friendly. Being all-natural, linen material is also good for your own health – it is totally safe for people with allergies, recommended for children, and does not have any chemicals that could give your skin any kind of itchiness or would have a bad smell. Linen is also naturally breathable, lightweight, and water-absorbant, therefore it’s perfect for warmer seasons.
- High-quality. Linen is one of the sturdiest and most durable materials. That’s exactly why they have a price for it! However, it’s totally worth it. Why buy many duvet covers when you can buy one that is very high-quality?
Polyester Duvet Cover
- Easy maintenance. The polyester material is considered synthetic, therefore it is pretty easy to take care of – it wrinkles very little and the color of it doesn’t fade that fast, therefore it maintains its initial form for a pretty long time.
- Good price. It is normal that synthetic materials usually cost much less than natural ones. The polyester duvet covers are not an exception. With a comparably smaller price, you can find pretty good covers for duvets that will work just perfectly!
TIP: Being less expensive, polyester has its cons, though – it’s much less breathable and moisture-absorbent as any other natural material, meaning that it is mostly suitable only for colder seasons (using it during hot summer will leave you sweating).
Cotton Duvet Cover
- Top material. Cotton is probably the most popular material in the whole textile industry. Therefore, different types of cotton bed linens are super easily accessible almost everywhere.
- Easy to maintain. The fabric of cotton is very soft and nice to the skin. It doesn’t require much care nor when using it or washing it.
- Natural. One of the best cotton fabric attributes making it super popular among the people is, of course, its substance. Cotton is made of natural cotton fibers that make it naturally breathable, soft to the skin, neutral smell, and healthy for you and for the environment. No need to worry about who will sleep under your cotton duvet cover – it’s suitable for everyone!
Do my talking about different materials make it even harder for you to make a decision? Well, in this case, I want you to think simple –what material clothes you would wear at any weather, at any time, at any circumstances, the material of your favorite clothes that is always your choice No. 1?
Is it cotton? Linen? Silk? If you feel good wearing linen clothes, you’ll definitely feel good sleeping under the linen duvet cover. Whenever you choose – you won’t lose!
Style and Appearance of the Duvet Covers
Do you feel confused after finding out that duvet covers come in a really wide variety of different materials? Well, you should also know that the number of options for the duvet cover color, style, and pattern is even bigger…
- Solid colors. This is a perfect choice if you like a more minimalistic and less complex look. Also, when you choose a solid color duvet cover – it is much easier to complement it into the interior design of your bedroom.
- Patterns. If you wish your duvet cover to be a more significant interior element – choose from the patterned duvet cover designs. Match it with the curtains, carpet, or wall color, or make it stand out from all the interior at all – that’s your playground!
TIP: Bold and bright colors patterned duvet covers are more practical if you have small kids or pets that tend to leave some stains or hair in the bed. Patterned fabric hides those annoying things and you don’t have to wash it every time that happens.
- Reversible duvet covers. Yes, those are also available! This way you can have 2 duvet covers in one – change the style of your bedding set whenever you want simply by reversing your duvet cover.
- Neutral duvet covers. This option is also for minimalists, and for those who prefer classical, well-groomed interior designs. All-white bedding set along with the white top layer – duvet cover will make the appearance of your bedroom bright, classy, and precious!
TIP: If you find it hard to choose the style of your duvet cover – first of all, carefully examine the colors of your already existing bedroom. After that – match your duvet cover to them, or simply choose the neutral color that would fit in any interior design.
Extra Tips for Choosing the Best Duvet Cover
Wrapping everything up, remember a few simple things:
- Duvets are much more expensive than the duvet covers, therefore, they shouldn’t be used without covers. Be smart – protect your expensive duvet with an appropriate cover and it will work for you for years.
- Comfort should be a priority when choosing the material of the duvet cover. Remember – your whole skin will be in touch with this material every night, for more or less 8 hours. Make sure the material of your duvet cover is soft enough and is appropriate for the weather.
- Style of duvet cover can upgrade or degrade the overall look of your bedroom. Therefore, try to match your duvet cover color to the overall look of your room interior. If you don’t feel like playing a designer – simply choose from the solid or neutral colors duvet covers.
Leave a Comment