- It’s so nice to see how many people become more and more aware of the ecological issues: movements emphasizing environmental issues, industries promoting eco-friendly products and services, other green choices made by politicians and society in general.
- Such a growing awareness is also visible in our home – the quality of items become more important than an appearance and even the price of it.
- Even though curtains are considered as a second-plan interior detail, choosing the eco-friendly curtain for your home is actually a green step towards a more sustainable environment.
- Below you’ll find out why you should search for sustainable curtains instead of synthetic ones, and what are the most popular choices of organic curtains.
As ecological problems become as relevant as never before these days, such tendencies make us naturally search for more sustainable products for our home. We get rid of plastic bags and swap them with reusable ones, we try to use public transport more or walk on foot instead of using a car, we turn off the lights at home when they are not needed…and so on!
But have you ever actually thought about the curtains and drapes hanging in your home? What material are they from? Would it really matter if you changed them to the ones that are made from an organic material? Believe it or not, it DEFINITELY WOULD. And we’ll explain to you why.
Think Before You Buy: Synthetic Curtains
Look at your current curtains or drapes. What are they made of? We might be wrong, but it’s very likely that they’re made of some synthetic material, like velvet, polyester, viscose, nylon…And that’s NOT OKAY!
- Bad for the environment. Synthetics usually contain petroleum and are not recyclable, nor biodegradable. Even more, curtains made of such fibers are usually coated with flame retardants and stain treatments that can expose toxic chemicals, such as PBDEs and PFCs. So in the event of a fire, such fibers not only melt but also release poisonous residues to the air.
- Toxic dyes. Most of the synthetic curtains are also colored with toxic dyes that also cause damage to the environment. Besides, imagine such curtains hanging in every room where you and your family spend most of the time.
- Waste of resources. Not only the synthetic curtain contains harmful chemicals itself, but the process of producing such products is a total waste of energy and non-renewable resources.
- Low durability. As if it wouldn’t be enough, the color of such a curtain usually fades away super fast. Therefore it loses its initial form in a very short period of time, and you have to go to the shopping center to buy a new one! That’s not sustainable, nor ecological, and it wastes your own energy, money, and time.
Go Green – Look for Eco-Friendly Curtains
As you now understand, synthetic curtains are not the best option if you care about the air of your home and an environment in general. Luckily, there are great alternatives to them!
You’ll be surprised by the variety of different natural fibers that can be used to make an organic, durable, and beautiful curtain! Cotton, linen, bamboo, hemp, wool, silk…should I continue further? Such materials are a great choice not only because they are eco-friendly, but also because they stay in form for a much longer time and are super easy to maintain.
What are Eco- Friendly Curtains?
The organic curtain is made from 100% pure fibers, such as cotton, hemp, bamboo, or linen that have been grown without any pesticides and chemicals – totally naturally. Such organic fabrics are later produced and manufactured also without using any toxic chemicals.
Why Choose Natural Curtains
- Environment. As organic curtains are made from the fabrics that don’t contain ANY harsh chemicals, it’s logical that they have zero negative impact on our Earth. Also, the way they are grown, harvested, and manufactured promotes sustainable agriculture because the conditions under which such plants are grown are considerably more friendly to the planet. Furthermore, such curtains are recyclable, that’s why choosing them is a green choice! On the contrary, traditional growing cotton ways consume enormous amounts of energy and resources, and at the same time, exploit employees (overtime, hard and unethical working conditions, etc.)
- Practical. Curtains made of natural materials, such as cotton or linen are great temperature regulators. For example, light and airy curtains perfectly filter the direct sunlight and naturally reduce the heat coming from the outside keeping the cool temperature inside the room. Meanwhile, darker shades organic curtains, such as cotton-linen drapes are perfect for winter because they absorb the heat from the outside and isolate it keeping the room naturally warm.
- Pleasant to Touch. Eco-friendly curtains are super nice to the skin. They are naturally soft, and, for example, linen curtains – become even softer after every wash. Could it be even better?
- Durability and look. Curtains made of bamboo, hemp, or silk fabrics are great interior details because they look extremely luxurious and fancy. Even more, these materials are exceptionally durable and don’t become dull over time because of the direct sunlight. What’s in it for you? Not only you get an exceptional piece of curtains, but also get rid of the headache of swapping the curtains that often.
- Hypoallergenic. This is one of the best things about eco-friendly materials! Not only they’re good for the environment, but also for your own health. Being made of pure plants, ecological curtains are hypoallergenic and even prevent various respiratory conditions (such as asthma), allergies, and other chemical sensitivities. Therefore, they are suitable for everyone – children, adults, people with some kind of health issues…simply harm-free!
The Most Popular Organic Drapes
Linen for Curtains
- Calm and neutral. Linen curtain lining adds such a positive, light, and cozy vibe in any interior design! Hang it in a dining room or a bedroom – it will look great anywhere! Neutral colors, such as white or cream, make linen curtains super easy to fit in any interior design.
- Humidity-friendly. Did you know that linen curtains are actually humid-resistant, mildew-resistant, and naturally antibacterial? That’s why they make a great option for hanging them on your porch or somewhere on the outside.
- Heat- resistant. Remember when we explained how synthetic fabric can melt or burn in the event of an actual fire? Well, the natural fabric would never do that. Even though linen might look simple, it is actually exceptionally durable, high-quality, and sunlight-resistant, and that’s exactly why it doesn’t fade away over time. (actually, it becomes even softer and nicer).
Organic Cotton Curtains
- Lightweight and airy. You may argue with me, but curtains from natural fibers, such as hemp, cotton, or linen – have never been out of fashion. On the contrary, such materials have always been symbols of high-quality and durability. Being a neutral color, light, and naturally wavy pure cotton curtains are the right choice for any window!
- Simple maintenance. Cotton curtains just like any sustainable materials are super easy to maintain – simple dusting off along with periodical dry cleaning when needed are more than enough to keep them fit!
- Versatile material. Choose the tight weave cotton curtains if you prefer more privacy, and sheer cotton curtains if you love the natural light coming out from the window – the decision is yours! This fabric is very versatile, therefore it’s simple as ABC to complement it into any room interior.
Leave a Comment