- Squishmallows are one of the latest viral items to hit the Tik Tok app. With the hype around it, this toy filled with plush is likely to continue to be in high demand. Kids and teenagers sitting at home on their iPad is yesterday’s news. Now, it’s a Squishmallow plush toy that captivates their attention.
- Craving for emotional comfort is a big part of the recent growth in the popularity of cuddly Squishmallows. These “stuffed animals” are especially popular with young people dealing with loneliness, anxiety, or depression. But these little cuties are also attracting kids who love to follow the latest viral trends.
- Caring for Squishmallows comprises giving them loads of love, applying gentle machine washing, and using a tumble dry on low heat. Remember not to iron these soft plush toys! It’s best to wash Squishmallows in cool water and dry it at low heat to make it possible that they always look fresh as if they were new. If there is only a small stain, their soft fabric can be washed with a simple stain remover pen or wet wipe.
What are Squishmallows?
Squishmallows are produced by Kellytoy. It’s a plush toy that has been filling us with joy and pouring unconditional love into our hearts since 2017.
Before we learn how to clean and care for these super soft toys, let’s see what’s their story.
There are over 800 characters in the Squishmallow plush super squad available to collect.
Tip: Squishmalows are fantastic as a gift alternative to candy and flowers. There are many options (characters), so everyone will find something for their loved ones.
Among the original, registered Squishmallow characters, you can choose from:
- animals like dogs, cats, whales, unicorns, etc. (some people call Squishmallows “stuffed animals”),
- food related plush forms,
- seasonal collections, like the ones designed for Halloween or Easter;
There are even a couple of gender-neutral Squishmallows that use they/them pronouns.
Each character has its unique:
- bio, and
written on its hang tag.
That’s why it’s so much fun to collect them!
Squishmallows vary in size and can be anywhere from 3.5-inch clip-ons to an extra-large 24 inches.
The materials we make them of are polyester fibers. This stuffed plush toy comes with puffy polyester stuffing, which makes it super soft.
No toxic chemicals are used or added to the outside layer and the fibers, so cuddling these toys is super safe.
Important: Squishmallows are Prop 65 compliant and are not flame retardant.
TikTok has led to various cultural trends, like Dalgona coffee, pancake cereal, and surprise mini brands.
Given the noticeable plush affection that the Squishmallows evoke, it doesn’t surprise that they have become an international phenomenon.
The official Squishmallow website claims that there have been over 55 million toys sold worldwide in two years. These soft toys are available in over 40 countries.
We owe their popularity to both:
- the pandemic—the time of the intensified search for comfort during the period of uncertainty and anxiety, and
- strong social media presence—with Tik Tok in the first place, where many young collectors are eager to share and cherish their “stuffed animals” preys;
Another clever marketing move to turn Squishmallows into hot commodities and make it more possible for them to spread was placing them abundantly at family stores.
Parents report that seeing a pure plush toy captivating their children’s attention is a relief from the constant presence of high-tech digital equipment.
People who shop for Squishmallows are mainly older teenage girls. This is because social media has come to normalize older girls having plush “stuffed animals” around.
Where to buy Squishmallows?
There are over 100 stores nationwide where to get your plush Squishmallow from.
Some retailers of Squishmallows are:
- TJ Maxx,
- Five Below,
- Party City,
This stuffed plush toy won’t be expensive if you’re buying it at a retail shop.
They are priced between $10 and $40, depending on their size.
Squishmallows clean care
Squishmallows need to be cared for—after all, they are friends!
Caring for a Squishmallow isn’t hard.
For minor stains, use a simple stain remover pen or wet wipe.
Squishmallows are machine washable.
Tip: Put your Squishmallow inside a pillowcase. Tie it closed. Wash and dry it in the pillowcase, and they will come out fluffy and good as new.
For regular, no stain related washes, always fill the washing machine with other materials.
Avoid washing your Squishmallow on its own to:
1. help keep its unique squish form, and
2. ensure the machine doesn’t damage the fabric;
You can wash Squishmallows in the washing machine with bedding and similar materials.
Make sure you don’t set your washing machine to high heat.
It’s best to wash Squishmallows in cool water only.
Put your Squishmallow in the dryer and tumble dry it at low heat or air fluff.
These stuffed babes don’t like to get too hot!
Don’t use a hairdryer, iron, or other handheld heated appliance to dry your Squishmallows.
If your Squishmallow loses shape after a wash and dry, give a little extra squish to get the shape back.
Tweens, collectors, and toy lovers of all ages love the cuddly, charming Squishmallows squad.
Remember that they’re machine washable to keep them always clean, fresh, and in good shape. Yet, it’s best if your soft toys are washed in cool water.
Providing only low heat or air is the best way to keep the fabric and the form of the plush untouched.
Consider following the tip above and washing them in a pillowcase to keep the plush as good as new.
After washing, put your Squishmallow in the dryer and tumble dry it at low heat or air fluff.
For more house care related posts, visit other posts and comments by HouseRituals.