- Not only perfectly layered bed makes your sleep more comfortable, but also improves the overall look of your bedroom interior;
- However, bed layering is like an art – although the whole process is nice, it also requires some knowledge to do it right;
- Below you’ll find 4 easy basic steps you should keep in mind when layering any type of bed for any season.
We all have seen those perfectly made beds in the movies – a few layers of different bed coverings, some matching pillows, or on the contrary – different colours and forms of pillows, etc. It seems quite a challenge to create and keep such a cozy, inviting and fashionable look of your own bed, isn’t it? Well, turns out, it’s not that difficult at all! However, there are some steps you should keep in mind to learn how to layer your bedding the right way.
STEP No. 1: Neutral base
Start with choosing the neutral fitted sheets and flat sheets.
For example, simple white sheets are always a great idea because it looks tidy, clean and it will be easier to layer on the bedding with different patterns and colours coverings, such as duvet and pillows later.
Shortly speaking – you will have less headache trying to match your sheets with other bed toppers.
STEP No. 2: Quilts/ Duvet Covers
After the base is set (sheets are placed on the bed) – it’s time to add some texture and colours to your bedding!
- Depending on the time of the season, you can choose either a light, nice pattern and colourful quilt, or a thick and fluffy duvet cover to add some contrast to your bedding set and provide yourself with some warmth.
- The quilt is usually used for a decorative purposes but could also perfectly work as a warm body covering. If you tend to get hot while sleeping, and when the temperature goes up – the quilt is your perfect choice!
- On the other hand, when the temperature falls down, or if you get cold while sleeping, duvet comforter is your way to go! Not only it adds a fluffy and comfy layer to your bedding but it also keeps your body super warm during the night.
- No matter if you choose a quilt or duvet comforter – this layer has to be matched with all the other bed toppers, such as pillows, blankets, or throws.
STEP No. 3: Pillows and Euro Shams
Time to put some cherries on top! Now it’s time to add some contrast and character yo your bedding set.
- Since standard pillowcases are usually matched with neutral sheets, euro shams usually go along with your colourful duvet cover or quilt (whenever you choose to use).
- For a tidier and more organised look – add some euro shams that’s the same or at least similar colour and pattern as your quilt/duvet cover. Although the colours and patterns do not have to be exactly the same – it’s important that they would play off with each other. Think about the colours of your room in general and try to complement your bedding set to the overall interior of your room.
- On the other hand, you can go a completely different way and decorate your bed with completely different colour throw pillows. If you have a colourful personality yourself, it can be your way to express that to the outer world! Therefore, trust your imagination, be creative, and do not be afraid to experiment.
STEP No. 4: End-of-Bed Blankets
Here is the last top layer that needs your attention. It’s time to decorate the end part of your bed!
- Now, if in the previous steps you chose to go for a quilt instead of duvet comforter – a matching duvet cover folded at the foot of your bed would be the right choice.
- On the other hand, if you choose a duvet comforter instead of the quilt – the throw or knit blanket at the end of your bed would work just great!
- No matter what you choose, keep in mind, that thicker blanket at your foot would create a feeling of warmth and coziness, so it would be better to use it when the temperature is lower.
- On the contrary, the duvet cover is lighter, therefore it would work when the temperature is higher.
- Anyway, you can always improvise and mix and match things as you wish. No matter what you choose, keep in mind that interior designers like to complement this layer with the quilt/duvet in some way.
The end-of-bed blanket is a great and super-easy way to change the overall look of your bedding set, especially if you choose the neutral colour sheets. For example, add some bright and rich colour knit blanket on top of your white/grey colour bedding set and that’s it!
TIP: If you struggle shifting layers of your bed appropriately, go for this simple method and you will not do a mistake – when it’s cold – sleep under duvet comforter and use a quilt at the end of your bed as a decoration, and when it’s hot – just swap them – sleep under the quilt and fold the duvet cover at your foot!
Now you know 4 simple steps of how to layer bedding the right way. As you can see yourself – there’s more fun to this process than hard work. Stick to these 4 basic rules along with your creativity and you’ll never get wrong.